No one expects a fire, emergency or other disaster to occur in their workplace. It is important to remember that these misfortunes can strike anyone, anytime, and in any workplace. Fires in the workplace cause extensive injury and property loss. If a fire started in your home or workplace would you know what to do?
Fire Safety teaches participants about the legislated fire safety responsibilities of the employer and the worker, describes safe work practices related to fire prevention, and provides practical information about emergency response in situations involving fire.
This online course is self-paced. Participants may leave the course at anytime and can resume where they left off. The duration will depend on the individual participant and their prior knowledge of the subject matter. On average, the timeline for completion will be 1 - 2 hours.
Upon completion of the course, participants should be able to:
- Explain how the issue of fire safety is addressed by occupational health and safety (OHS) legislation in Canada and identify the fire safety responsibilities of employers and those of workers
- Describe safe work practices that can reduce the risk of fire
- Know what to do in the event of a fire
- Recognize fire-related situations in which the use of a fire extinguisher is appropriate and situations in which it is best to evacuate rather than try to put out the fire
- Identify the types of extinguishers, and the classes of fire that can be put out using each type of extinguisher
- Know how to use a fire extinguisher
- Understand the maintenance and servicing requirements related to fire extinguishers
Fire Safety is a 4-module course. At the end of each module, there is a test. Participants must successfully complete the test before continuing to the next module. Participants that do not achieve 100% can review the module content and try as many times as necessary to advance and complete the course. Test questions are randomly selected from a test bank, making each test unique. Upon successfully completing all modules, there is a printable certificate for your records.
How to register?
Please select how many you would like to purchase and pay for the course by adding to your cart. Once payment is received you will receive an email within 24hrs from the Red Cross with your login code(s). Please makes sure we receive email addresses for everyone enrolled into the program with first and last name. This will ensure everyone is getting login codes.
When successfully completed you will receive an electronic certificate of completion.